Practical Solutions, Proven Advice
Matthew Tomm Law delivers value to clients in downtown Calgary, focusing on employment law and civil litigation. Get advice you can depend on and solutions you need.
We have the tools for the job. Whether your matter needs a soft touch or a firm hand, mediation or litigation, negotiation or court, we have the versatility that gets results.
The personal touch matters. With Matthew Tomm Law, you won’t get lost in a sprawling organization. You’ll know who’s on the file: Matthew Tomm, the responsible lawyer.
This is our focus. Services include:
- Wrongful dismissal litigation (with- or without-cause terminations) »Employees who are dismissed without notice are often entitled to financial compensation. This is called pay in lieu of notice, or severance. If you have been wrongfully dismissed, you should consult with a lawyer. We can help you figure out what you are entitled to and how to get it. If you are an employer, we can help you navigate without-notice terminations to protect your interests, manage risks and keep your workplace running smoothly.
- Severance package reviews »When an employee is dismissed, they are often offered a “severance package.” Whether to accept or reject the offer can be a high consequence decision. We help employees and employers in Calgary figure out what severance is fair and how to protect their interests.
- Constructive dismissals »A constructive dismissal occurs when the employer unilaterally changes a fundamental term of an employment agreement. That permits the employee to quit and ask a court to interpret their resignation as a wrongful dismissal. Constructive dismissals can be tricky. Employees and employers in Calgary should consult a lawyer when these issues arise.
- Human rights complaints »The Alberta Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination on grounds of disability, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, and sexual orientation (among others). If an employee has experienced adverse treatment on a prohibited ground, it could give rise to a human rights complaint. We help employees and employers in Calgary navigate the human rights process.
- Employment contract drafting or review »Employment agreements set the key terms of the relationship between worker and company. Once an agreement is reached, it’s difficult to change. It’s important to get it right, from the start. We draft and review employment contracts so our clients can move forward with the certainty of clear and enforceable agreements protecting their interests.
- Workplace policy drafting or review »Employment policies are crucial to managing the workplace. But if policies are not compliant with the law, they could be unenforceable when needed most. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure – get your policies reviewed or drafted to meet your unique needs and you will be solving problems before they even arise.
- Restrictive covenant reviews (non-competition, non-solicitation, confidentiality and intellectual property clauses) »Many companies have important business interests to protect when employees leave, including referral networks, client contact information, intellectual property and trade secrets. Restrictive covenants help employers maintain control over those assets when key employees are transitioned out. On the flipside, restrictive covenants can seriously hinder a worker’s ability to maintain a livelihood. We assist employees and employers in Calgary to assess the enforceability of restrictive covenants and their options when problems arise.
- Independent legal advice »It is often wise to check in with a lawyer before making an important decision that affects your rights. Whether you’re thinking of accepting a new job, leaving your job, or if you’re facing discipline, suspension or a possible wrongful dismissal, Matthew Tomm Law can be your go-to employment lawyer in Calgary.
- And much more ... »Difficult legal questions arise in a whole variety of workplace contexts. We help employees and employers navigate workplace investigations, bullying and harassment complaints, fixed term contracts, contractor agreements, bonus and variable compensation schemes, change of control clauses, and much more. Contact us if you need an employment lawyer in Calgary.
We’re always on the lookout for interesting civil litigation files. However, Matthew Tomm Law doesn’t cover the whole gamut of general civil litigation. If your case is outside our scope, we can provide a solid referral.
Civil litigation experience includes estate litigation, civil fraud (both as plaintiff and defence counsel), business divorces, business valuations, contract disputes, tort law (personal injury and professional negligence claims) and much more.
For the full blog archive, click here.
Conveniently located in downtown Calgary. Easily walkable from the LRT. Street-side and paid parking available.
Suite 300, 840 – 6 Ave SW
Calgary, Alberta, T2P 3E5
Tel: (403) 264-4855